APA Publishing is a division of the American Psychiatric Association (APA). Its purpose is twofold: to serve as the distributor of publications of the Association and to publish books independent of the policies and procedures of the American Psychiatric Association. APA Publishing has grown since its founding in 1981 into a full-service publishing house, including a staff of editorial, production, marketing, and business experts devoted to publishing for the field of psychiatry and mental health. As the leading psychiatric organization in the world, APA now encompasses over 38,500 members practising in more than 100 countries.
The over-arching objective of the new appi.org site was the provision of the ability to allow users of different membership levels to purchase books and journal subscriptions at prices based on their membership type. Another big driver for the project was to move to a Content Management System which could provide the flexibility that suited APA Publishing’s business needs.
They needed a partner and qualified Kentico Agency to assist them to build their new eCommerce site using the Kentico eCommerce software. The new website needed to integrate with their SalesForce CRM and Naviga Global’s Publishing Platform, since it stored the business rules (prices, shipping, special rates, etc.).
What we Delivered
The project requirements included several complex challenges, which made Kentico and Microsoft MVC the ideal technology platforms for our team to deliver the following;
- eCommerce Customization: Allowed us to customize the shopping experience and integrate it with the Naviga Global Platform.
- Products, Product Variants and Product Options: Enabled us to model the APA Back-Office Product Catalogue in Kentico.
- Kentico search functionality: Enabled us to build custom Search Indexes for searching Product based on rules to determine the variant of a product that should be displayed.
- Kentico EMS functionality: User tracking, Online Marketing and Content Personalization Variants.
- Scheduled Tasks: Allowed us to build an automated Product Import-Module.
- Email Marketing: Provided us with the ability to capture and target visitors who sign up to the site.
- Consent and Data Protection: Helped us deliver a GDPR Compliant Website.
- Kentico API: Enabled us to develop a high level of customized functionality.
- Event Logging: Enabled us to develop a Logging Module which enables the client to troubleshoot issues and determine where the issue originated: within the website or within one of the Integrated System.
- Widgets & Personalization Variants: Allowed us to deliver a solution to the client that simplifies the creation of content on the website and provides personalization.
Kentico’s highly customisable nature was ideally suited to assist in the design of a solution that met all of the APA Pubshling’s goals, these being:
- Automation: The Kentico API Suite and Schedule Tasks allowed us to build a bespoke Product Import module that managed products and product variants for sale on the site.
- Responsive: Kentico and MVC made it straight-forward to develop a responsive solution with a high level of caching to deliver a solution that works across all devices.
- Low Maintenance: Utilizing Kentico’s ability to write custom classes to override underlying functionality in the CMS, allowed us to build a completely custom shopping experience, while still leveraging all the benefits of the Kentico platform.
- Self-Service: Kentico provided the ability for us to deliver a suite of widgets and content personalization variants, which has enabled APA to create and manage content without a high degree of HTML/design experience.
- Single Sign-On: Building on top of the existing Kentico & MVC Authentication to integrate Salesforce was a challenge. However, by being able to create a corresponding basic Kentico user account and map orders and addresses allowed us to retain all the Kentico eCommerce functionality and ensured that we did not develop anything bespoke which would reduce Kentico's Online-Marketing capabilities.
The APA Publishing’s new eCommerce website is modern, responsive, attractive, user-friendly and delivered on a highly secure platform. The customised eCommerce functionality is now able to better serve their 38,500 members, who span across 100 countries globally.
The project requirements included several complex challenges which Kentico and Microsoft MVC were able to meet. Kentico’s highly customizable nature made it possible to design a system that integrated with several of our external platforms and managed a diverse and robust eCommerce system. APA Publishing is now able to meet customers’ demand for books, subscriptions, and online products within the same platform.Sreeni Reddy - Director, Information Technology - American Psychiatric Association